- The goal of the Sermon on the Mount is Christian praxis
- The gospel of the deed is an expression of grace
- The Sermon on the Mount combines the central love command with other exemplary demands of Jesus
- The Sermon on the mount is an ethic for disciples
- Through the preaching of the disciples the Sermon on the Mount is valid for the whole world
- The Sermon on the Mount offers instruction in fulfilling the law and prophets
- The Sermon on the Mount states the requirements for entry into the kingdom of heaven
 Ulrich Luz, Matthew 1–7, ed. Helmut Koester, trans. James E. Crouch, Hermeneia (Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2007), 391.
 Luz, Matthew 1–7, 391–94.